26 February 2011

Looking forward to some dog days


This is an Irish Wolfhound.  Kinda big, huh?  It's the kind of dog I would really really like to have, if I could have a dog.  But the amount of space needed to keep it happy - and the amount of food!  So I have had to adjust my sights to something a bit more realistic.

Years ago, when I was a junior in high school, I bought a cut little puppy at the pound.  The man at the pound assured me that the puppy would not grow up to be very large - a requirement that Mom laid out.  The cute little puppy, Frisky, turned out to be a German Shepherd, weighing in at 95 pounds.  He was gorgeous, full of energy, huge, and a tad bit bonkers. 

                                     (This isn't Frisky, but it is a German Shepherd, so it will do)

Frisky loved people and when someone would come to the door Frisky didn't bark at them.  Or bite them.  Or jump up on them.  No, Frisky would wag, wag, wag his tail and squirm closer and closer to the visitor, and then he got so excited he peed on their feet.

Frisky came to a sad end which I won't detail here, but I have always longed for a large dog since then.

My next dog was the polar opposite of my previous big dog.  He was Kermit, a toy poodle.  So much for my big dogs, right?  He really was never my dog, though.  Yes, I was the one who brought him home, but I was a college student, and couldn't take him with me back to the dorms, so my Mom agreed to keep Kermie for a while.  She kept him for 12 years until his death.

                                         (Again, not Kermit, but this guy could be his brother!)


My husband is allergic to dogs and cats, so we can't have an indoor dog.  But some day, when we get a little land so that a dog could be outside with room to roam, we will get my German Shepherd.  Once again, I will have a big dog to run with, play with, and rely on for some protection.

I just hope he doesn't pee on your feet.

3 comments:

  1. Jeeze, now we have twin dogs. Minnie pees on visitors' feet too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine life without a dog(s) (or cats) in it! Chase (my pitbull) barks like he's going to kill you, but all he wants is to sit in your lap and give kisses! All 90 pounds of him! And Bogey (the cat) beats the crap out of the poor dog every day! They play with each other for a while (and sleep in bed together), but when Chase turns around to walk away, Bogey will charge after him and then leap up on his back- it's the funniest thing to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heart is not complete without paw prints.

    ReplyDelete