11 February 2011

You're not getting older, you're getting....

I'm going grey.


Actually, this is not a news flash.  My first five grey hairs came in overnight about 20 years ago when I was working as a men's dorm supervisor.  An angry student swung at me and the dean chose not to expel him.  But I did get a restraining order which made it almost impossible for the guy to live in the dorm.  (and once again, I have gone off topic before I even finish the first paragraph.)

No, I've been going grey for 20 years now.  But I've been coloring my hair for about, oh, 18 years.  Sometimes I am light brown.  Sometimes I am dark brown.  Reddish.  Auburn.  Caramel.  Mocha.  A touch of burgundy.  And one memorable experiment gone badly awry when it became sort of orange-y.  If I had to tell you my actual hair color, which I do for ID purposes, I say "brown" but I could not pick out the right color to save my life.

But life has been so busy that I haven't been able to find time to re-color it.  And so I have about two inches of grey growing in.  Sadly, it isn't 100% grey, it's about one third grey and the rest is brown.  Enough grey to notice it, but not enough to look cool.

With no time to fix it, I have reverted to my childhood hairstyle:  Pull back the front into two barrettes and call it good.

So my aging hair has caused me to wear it like a child.

I don't mind this hairstyle.  It's easy.  The headset at work doesn't mess it up.  No expensive "product" involved.  And drying and styling time is minimal.

I wonder if this means I have given up, or have come to terms.

By not staying up until oh-dark-thirty in the morning to get it colored, have I made the decision that I don't care how I look, since I am old?  Have I lost interest in the fight against aging?  Against becoming my mother?  Against looking my age?  (how un-American!)

Or have I come to terms with the fact that, although my father blessed me with his genetic makeup which makes me look a good 5 to 8 years younger than I am, I am, indeed, closer to 50 than to 40?  Heck, closer to 50 than to 45!  Am I finally able to embrace the fact that I am not a child, not a teen, not a young woman, but a middle-aged woman?  I have a child who is closer to 30 than to 20 and my mother is in her early 70s.

Is this a sort of mid-life....not "crisis", but perhaps mid-life peace?

It's nice to think that maybe, after warring with myself for my entire life, I am finally accepting who I am.  I'd like to think that this is the answer to why my grey hair is out there for everyone to see.

But I suspect that the real answer is that I am just too busy, and some weekend when we have nothing going on, you'll find me in the bathroom experimenting with the latest color.  Maybe strip it and see how I look with totally white hair.......

4 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. Except in my case, it's not that I'm too busy, it's that I'm too afraid to dye it. I'm scared I'll end up bright purple or something. Murphy's Law and all.... I'm going to have to do something though - I'm developing a skunk stripe which is accented by, not hidden by, my normal hairstyle. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not old, you are busy! Funny how our hair can cause such a dilemma, isn't it?! I just had mine all chopped off because I was tired of it flopping into my eyes/face while running, and it had taken me forever to finally grow it out long enough to wear in a ponytail! Oh well, I have to admit that I just LOVE this new haircut (and all it takes it some gel - no drying or styling!)- maybe you should try that! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went "au natural" about five years ago. Luckily I have a nice mix of dark auburn and silver (mostly silver now). Being a crone I decided one day that I earned each and every gray hair. They were a badge of honor of making it this many years (closer to 60 than 50, closer to 60 than 55, 56.....) without killing anyone or doing permanent physical damage to myself (we won't talk about mental). I look at it as the silver badge of courage and endurance. La Petite Crone says...Well done Miz Kate!

    ReplyDelete