27 February 2011

Why 101 Things in 1001 Days?

I have had several people ask me why I am bothering with my 101 goals in 1001 days.  Folks at work see me with my binder, working on things, checking off items, doing research, and they ask.  Family members have wondered out loud why I need something so formal as a list of goals with a specific due date for completing them.  A few friends have suggested that I am only setting my self for failure and disappointment with such a long and varied list.

Usually I just laugh it off and say that it gives me something to do to keep out of trouble. 

But I have a reason for each and every goal that I have listed.  They are more than desires, they are more than dreams or wishes.  These are things that I want for very real, very personal, very tangible reasons.  These are things that, if I didn't do them, I would feel like I had let myself down, that I had settled for less than I could be or do or make out of my life.

And I don't know about you, but I rend to get overwhelmed by all the things that "need" to be done every day.  I find myself faced with so many things calling for my time and attention that I don't accomplish anything by the end of the day.

But this list keeps me grounded.  When I have a few hours of "free" time, I can turn to my list and work on the next item that strikes my fancy.  Make a list of all of Katharine Hepburn's movies.  Design the quilt for Scott.  Window shop online for new dishes.  Cut out the canvas for my floor. 

By having this list, I am getting things finished that I know I would still simply be wanting to have done.  My dad's scrapbook is completed.  It took me almost 5 years to do it.  Well, actually, it took me about 5 days, spread out over 5 years.  And now I ma halfway to having the one for my mom's side of the family completed as well.

I have almost stopped dropping f-bombs.  Checked the 7 day goal off the list, and I am now on day 16 of the 30 day goal.  I think I am going to do it, and that makes me really happy. 

Flowers, calling my mom weekly, writing to my family members, these are all little things that make me happy, that make me feel like I am in touch with the nice and good things in my world.  So while you might not care about flowers at all, mine make me smile every time I see them.  And there is no such thing as too much happiness in life.

There are a number of physical challenges on my list.  Things I want to be able to say that I have done to prove to myself that I am capable and confident.  But up until now they have been simply dreams.  With my list, I am now moving forward in making these dreams a reality.  I am finding out the amount of planning an preparation that is required for each one, and finding ways to work on each little step. 

To those who think I have bitten off more than I can chew, I respectfully disagree.  And I guess only time will tell.  Yes, there are a lot of things still to be accomplished.  And it is possible that I won't be able to say "DONE!" on the 1001st day.  But I am not worrying about that right now.  I believe that I can accomplish each and every one of those 101 items.  On the cover of my 101 Things in 1001 Days binder I have the following quote:

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.




Remember, I have completed two marathons! 

5 comments:

  1. Even though I really don't know you all that well, from what I do know I have no doubt that you will DEFINITELY complete each and every one of those goals! Me, I won't make it the 7 days without saying the F bomb ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!!! I think it's amazing. I've now got my list going. Have to finish my list of 101 first. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only concern about your list is how many seem to fall heavily into the financial category, but I have no doubt that you can do all of the physical things and probably all the financial as well. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,
    I know you can do whatever you set your mind to!
    You Go Girl! Missy said it all!
    :) Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your list - I always thought it was an excellent idea. Some of them I have stolen for myself, I hope you don't mind. AND! I crossed one off this weekend - #79. Doesn't crossing them off just make you feel good? Keep at it - I hope you have lots more checked off by the time I get to see you in August! - Jenny

    ReplyDelete