05 March 2011

Good job!



(Note:  The purpose of this blog is not to have my friends tell me how great I am, but to challenge all of us to look for the great people around us every day.)

My dad and mom always taught me to say "thank you" to people who provided me with assistance.  By their examples, I learned to truly appreciate it when someone went the extra mile for me, or spent the time to provide excellent service, or went above and beyond to help me.  My parents caused me to see and realize that while we all enjoy great customer service, we tolerate mediocre service, and when someone really truly provided service, they deserved to be noticed and appreciated. 

My dad, in particular, taught me that if someone was particularly good at his or her job, it wasn't sufficient to simply tell them thank you.  I recall several times when we had to wait for a frazzled manager to appear so that my dad could tell him or her that our waiter, or the clerk, or the front desk person gave excellent service and he wanted the manager to know that this employee was an ideal representative for that particular company.

In my job I help a lot of people.  I like what I do, and I really appreciate it when a taxpayer tells me that I really helped them, or I made a difficult situation seem possible to resolve, or that I was very kind and helpful.  I have to admit, it feels good to receive a compliment like those.  My goal is to provide excellent customer service, to give the IRS a better reputation, and to make the taxpayer feel respected - not stupid for asking a question.

But yesterday I received a copy of an email that my boss sent to the director of our whole branch.  Seems a taxpayer that I assisted called my manager and told her how much she appreciated my help.  My manager passed that little tidbit along and I received a letter from our big boss thanking me for my work.  I have to tell you, it felt pretty darned good!

And it made me realize that there are literally dozens of people with whom I come in contact every week who provide services to me.  Most of them are so-so at best, but every once in a while someone really makes a difference.  Sadly, I hadn't thought about thanking them and telling their bosses what a fantastic employee they have.  So my challenge to myself - and you! - is to find one person this week who really shone when they did their job, and then let their boss know.  Maybe it's the guy at Starbucks, the gal at the tire center, the driver of the bus, the clerk at the grocery store, the gas station attendant.  And yes, I know, sometimes the manager isn't there, so that means we actually may have to take the time to get a phone number or address and then remember to call or write or email.  But I have faith in us.  We're grown ups.

Because, after all, if we want to continue to receive good service, no - if we want to continue to receive excellent service, then we have to let these good folks know that they are appreciated, and that the time and effort they put into their jobs is noticed and appreciated.

And to those of you who read every silly word I write, thank you for making me feel like I make sense!

4 comments:

  1. I agree, it is hard to find someone that goes above and beyond but when we do it is important to let them know. I make a point to show this to the kids so that they too can see this. Thanks for making me think and I will accomplish your challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was brought up the same way and like to thank the higher-ups of people who've gone above & beyond, although I admit, I don't always put out too much effort to do so. For example, I recently thanked out electric company for a job well done on FB, although no one at the company will ever see my post. I also send "thanks for getting the lights back on so quickly" notes with my payment after big storms but I doubt the payment processors do anything with the notes. And I'm ashamed to say I tend to write them on post-its, not real note paper. I have requested to speak to store managers about certain employees and it's always amazing to see the manager's face change from the dreaded "what is this woman going to complain about?" to a look of total amazement that someone is taking the time to compliment something. Sort of shows how a little kindness does go a long way. I'm not going to guarantee I'll thank someone this week, but I promise to properly thank the next person I come in contact with that deserves a special thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm receiving service from someone and they have a nametag I try to use their name in conversation with them..."Thank you John" etc. It's amazing how much better seervice you get if you take the time to recognize them as an individual.....I know when I worked it made my day when someone used my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Few people find the time to say "thank you" or "good job" or give a small pat on the back to people who've given us small services. Try to spread it more, it feels good. You know you would too.

    ReplyDelete