20 January 2011

Am I smarter than......

Why is #7 on my list "Become a member of MENSA"?  It's really a vanity thing for me.  And maybe a bit of wishful, or wistful, thinking.



I have mentioned before that growing up with three younger sisters meant that we were labeled.  For the convenience of others who couldn't seem to keep us straight.  There was the pretty one, the athletic one, the funny one, and then I was the smart one.  Back then I believed it.  I was the smart one.  Not funny, pretty, or athletic.  But smart.

However, you wouldn't have guessed it based on my behaviors.  I dated the wrong guys, I didn't bother trying in school (although I did take all the AP classes that were out there), I went to an easy-to-get-into college, I married the wrong guy (note to all you single gals out there - if, as you are standing there at your wedding, you find yourself thinking "I can say 'no'.  Sure it will cause an uproar, but Mom and Dad will take care of returning gifts, making apologies, and shielding me.  I really should say 'no'." then SAY 'NO' YOU SILLY GIRL!!  (sorry, had to get that out of my system)

Anyway.  My life has been one stupid mistake after another.  Things that I knew better and did them any way, or didn't, as the case may be.  Getting a degree in Medieval History.  NOT getting a PhD while I could.  Running injured.  Staying in jobs that were literally killing me.  Ignoring good advice.  And on and on.

These days I am feeling pretty dumb.  I look over my thesis and I can barely believe that person who wrote it is me - I swear I don't even know what all the words mean!  I have a Master's degree and have taught at colleges and universities but I  work in a call center.

I find myself doing stupid things or foolish things or silly things and I say to myself "If you're the smart one, how the heck do your sisters even survive?"  I am only half joking when I say it.

I know that there was never a "smart one" or an "athletic one" or any other "one".  We were all each of those girls, just in varying degrees at that moment in time.  And there was no stasis - our smartness or prettiness or funniness levels waxed and waned.  Even today you can't label us that way.  We still are all four works in progress.

But I need something to validate that smart girl part of me.  So MENSA is my choice.  I know, there are all sorts of smarts out there, and successfully meeting the requirements of membership no more "proves" me smart than failure to do so "proves" me dumb.  But is has always been one of those "wouldn't it be cool if..." things, so I am going to try it.



I have sent in for, and received, the practice test.  Now I need to find 30 minutes of quiet to take the test, then mail it in and see what the preliminary analysis is.  If it looks good, I will schedule an appointment to take the real test, with a live proctor, later this spring.

As long as they don't do background checks, looking for "100 foolish things you've done in the past that exclude you from MENSA" I should be okay!

Looking to test your wits?  Try Match Wits With Mensa: The Complete Quiz Book (Mensa Genius Quiz) or The Mensa Genius Quiz-a-day Book

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to add that if you do say no, as in to your father while you are walking down the aisle, and he tells you "Dammit, I put this monkey suit on, you are going to get married." Don't listen. Stop, turn and RUN!!!!

    Isn't it amazing how we compare ourselves to our siblings? In our case, my sister is the good, pleaser daughter. I'm the wild, going to please herself daughter. I liked how you brought your comparison around to show that you each have the same talents though. Reminds me of The Breakfast Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. I wish I had said no, but had I done so I wouldn't have the wonderful son that I have (nor for that matter the cool tattoo that he did for me!). However hindsight is 20/20....but that doesn't do you much good in the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you were the smart one, Barb must be the athletic one. That leaves me and Jeaneen. Was I the pretty or funny one? Just wondering XOXO

    ReplyDelete