11 January 2011

Hood to Coast, the Movie



It's almost time.  Tonight is the world premiere of the Hood to Coast movie.  Wanna see the trailer?  Go to:  www.hoodtocoastmovie.com  This is what I did last summer.  And what I am going to do this summer.  With 11 other crazy people and 2 nutso drivers.  And 12,000 of our closest friends and competitors.

It was a blast.

Hood to Coast proclaims itself epic, and has done so long before everyone and everything is epic.

It deserves the name.  Imagine running 6 miles.  Now do it again.  And one more time.  All in 24 hours.  You'll run at least one leg of your three in the dark.  And I guarantee at least one leg is uphill.

Sometimes there are so many other runners with you that you feel claustrophobic.  At other times you would swear that you are the only runner on the course.

The course starts at Mt. Hood, at Timberline Lodge, and leg one drops what seems like 6000 feet in 6 miles.  I love leg one!  It ends at Seaside, OR, where the entire team joins the final runner to cross the finish line in the sand.  And in between are 197 miles of pain and bliss, fun and fear, cramped conditions, portapotties, frantic efforts to get to the next exchange, and eating out of a cooler.  There are serious injuries.  Digestional upsets.  Frayed nerves.  And valiant runners.

You cram 6 runners into one van and party all the way to the coast, blister, sunburn, shinsplints, and all.

I love it.

So tonight I relive the agony and the ecstasy, the pain and the glory.

And I bet I run tomorrow morning, even if Portland is calling for sleet tonight!

Hood To Coast  for the soundtrack to the movie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog- I had to play around with the schedule a little bit to make Saturday one of the rest days. Not that I will get any rest since I work both jobs on Saturdays ;)

    I want to see this movie so bad! And even worse I want to run it with you! I'm definitely gonna try for 2012 (if you'll have me)!

    ReplyDelete