08 January 2011

Drama Gate and the Prodigal Dad

When I am at work people call me and tell me the most amazing things about themselves, their lives, their attitudes, their history, their futures.  Often times I suspect that they don't realize just how much they are revealing.  In their minds they are simply stating a few facts, answering a few of my questions, and receiving the answers they need.

My training is to answer questions about taxability, deductions and credits, and exemptions. We call it the "Drama Gate".  The reason is obvious.  Folks tend to get worked up when they discover that they have to claim all of their bingo winnings.  Or that they can't deduct the cost of paying for their daughter's lavish wedding.  Or that even though he has faithfully paid every penny of child support, and works two jobs to do so, dad can't deduct the kids on his taxes because they spend more than half the year living at mom's house.

Most of my callers are people who are feuding with their babymamas and babydaddies about who gets to claim the kids' deductions.  All that these folks seem to care about is how much money their kids can bring in, and/or how to make a preemptive strike to prevent the other parent from claiming the child.


I know, I haven't lived in their shoes.  I shouldn't judge.  And maybe the callers are light years beyond where they "ought" to be, given their own background and surroundings, but it's difficult not to compare the tears of the one father who mourned the loss of his daughter for nearly half of his life, and the parents who seem to be  interested only in one-upping the other parent in the race to get more.  Or prevent the other parent from getting more than they do.


If I was cynical I would point to these people and say "We are a greedy, vindictive and stupid nation".  Given my job and the folks I talk to, you can hardly blame me if I said that. 

But I realize that I get to talk to more of the folks who are struggling than those who have it all together.  By its very nature, my job will exclude those who can keep their lives in order.  Let's be honest, you don't call the IRS unless things are a mess. 

And if I forget that, all I need to do is remember the man I refer to as the Prodigal Dad.  He is also "The Man I Made Cry".  And then swear.  Almost in the same sentence.
He was calling to see if there was any possible credit for which he was eligible.  Because he is on disability he has no tax liability, and since there are only a limited number of refundable credits, there wasn't much to offer him.  I told him of the one for which I knew he qualified, and then jokingly asked "There's the adoption credit - did you adopt a child in 2010?"

Imagine my surprise when he started to sob and said "No, but I was adopted.  My daughter, who I gave up for adoption 28 years ago, came looking for me."  No doubt embarrassed about his emotional response he muttered my bugaboo of an obscenity.  Then he really was embarrassed and fell all over himself apologizing. 

We concluded the conversation soon after that but since then I have thought of him often.  Especially when I get another parent whose children are giant walking dollar signs and apparently nothing more. 

The Prodigal Dad.  A newly-made first-time father who is still overcome by his second chance.

May we all get that second chance.


Tax 2010/2011 for Dummies; J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2011: For Preparing Your 2010 Tax Return; and for the truly dedicated or masochistic:  U.S. Master Tax Guide, Hardbound Edition (2011)

1 comment:

  1. Good posting - I enjoyed this. It does make you think. I hated customer service - but then I was face to face.....

    ReplyDelete