18 December 2010

But we already have a perfectly good couch - two, in fact!

My husband is of German extraction.  But his first name is Scott.  And he is definitely more "Scot" than German.  Take our furniture.  Our house is full of what I call "dead grandmother furniture".  We own one of his grandmother's couch.  End table.  Dining room table.  Coffee table.  Bookcases.  Dry sink.  Tea cart.  Another coffee table.  Dressers.  Don't get me wrong, with the exception of the table (which was found by a grandfather in the attic of a house they had as rental property and so is at least 50 years old) this is good stuff.  Almost all of it is Ethan Allen furniture.  Gorgeous solid wood furniture that would cost a fortune today.  And all in the totally dated "Colonial America" style.

The "new" stuff we includes the bedroom set Scott bought when he bought this house.  Over 23 years ago.  The dining room table I bought 25 years ago.  The book case my dad made 43 years ago.  The antique dressing table, circa 1920.

The totally modern stuff includes the furniture we purchased together:  two cheap bookcases we got at Fred Meyers and a futon.

And that's it.

My house is full of stuff that is over 20 years old, and some of it is older than either of us!

So on my list of 101 things is a couch.  I want a new couch.  One that was not made by the Pilgrim forefathers.  One that was not originally owned by a lovely lady who has been dead for 10 or 20 years.  One that my husband doesn't remember playing on as a boy.  A couch that has soft cushions and doesn't require a board under the seats to help brace the sagging upholstery.  A couch that looks like someone my age would own, not someone my grandmother would buy.

I have no idea what this couch looks like.  While I am partial to Victorian furniture, I don't think I want to go there.  Instead, something that is comfy, long enough for Scott to stretch out on when he is watching late night TV, and not too fru-fru with pillows and such.  So I guess it's off to go couch hunting some time soon.  Just to see what's out there.  And what a good couch costs these days.  Then I will have to start saving and saving and saving.  'Cause I have a feeling that Scott (Scot) will have a cow when I tell him how much a new couch will cost!

2 comments:

  1. You could buy me one too while you're at it. Our couch is the only thing in the house that isn't antique and yet, it's the one piece of furniture that is totally trashed. We keep about 20 bed pillows on it because you have to sit on one or 2 to keep from sagging down into the bottomless void under the couch (love the board idea! btw) then you need 1 or 2 behind you so that you remain sitting & not laying back like you are in the dentist's chair. Have I mentioned that I HATE our couch? Oh, and it used to be dark green. It's sort of dog-dirt brown now. And there's a big battery acid burn on one of the cushions from where Minnie chewed up a D battery once. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a Costco membership? Amazingly enough, they have great furniture. Not necessarily in the style you like (they don't have huge selection), but in great quality. It's worth taking a look!

    We bought ours about 1.5 years ago and got a sectional with a chaise and ottoman for ~$700. We love it, but again, it has to fit with your taste. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete