22 December 2010

That plastic church


This little plastic music box church building used to be Scott's Grandmother's Christmas decoration.  (yet another item in our "Dead Grandmother Collection")  It's something he has had for more than 20 years, and when I first saw it I nearly cried.

You see, MY own Grandma had one of these, and it was passed on to our family.  It was one of those things that made its appearance each year, and was dutifully wound up so we all could listen to it play "Silent Night".

When we had it, I don't think it was a particular favorite of mine.  It just was a part of Christmas.  Because it always made an appearance it was the fabric of Christmas to me.  And something I didn't know I missed until I saw it again.
How fortunate that it is in my family again!

Every time I see it I am reminded of Scott's Grandmother, the one I never knew.  And my own Grandma James.  And my family when I was young.  Back when we decorated the tree with construction paper ornaments and Mom made about five hundred thousand cookies and there was always the right amount of snow on the ground.  Back when my memory is probably so dim that none of that really happened!
Each year when I unpack the "living room stuff" and set it out, I am always eager to find this church building.  I plug it in, wind it up, and continue on with my unpacking and placing of the various ornaments and doo-dads.  And I think about my family, some gone from this earth, some thousands of miles away, and I am grateful for another Christmas full of hope and joy.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post. And now you know how I feel about my Leroy ornament. LOL

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete