13 December 2010

Get Braces

Since (one of) you asked, I thought I would explain the whole "get braces" thing.

When I was a child my mouth didn't seem to fit my face.  I know, our faces and heads don't grow much over the years, but it seemed to me that my mouth was far too large for the rest of me.  And my teeth - they seemed to loom over the rest of my face.

Sure, I was overly self-conscious.  What girl child isn't?  Add to that the constant knowledge that others saw my sisters as prettier than me, and I did, too, and an overdose of introspection, and my large and crooked teeth seemed to always make their own appearance.  There are photos of me as a fourth and fifth grader trying to smile with my mouth closed.  THAT'S how much my teeth bothered me.

To others, especially today, my teeth may not seem all that crooked.  And they certainly don't bother me, nor are they out of place so that proper dental hygiene is difficult.  But I am still self-conscious of my teeth.  When someone compliments me on my smile I always want to cover my mouth with my hand.  And when I see photos of me, my crooked teeth, especially my prominent canines, are all that I can see. 

My sisters have the same smile.  Well, at least two of them do.  And when I see girls #2, #3 and #4 smile, or when I see a photo of all of us together smiling, all I can do is inwardly wince.  All those teeth!  All those canines!

So I have wanted braces since I was about 12.  My folks couldn't afford them for any of us.  (Heck, I didn't go to the dentist until I was well in my mid-30s.  Dental care was for those in pain.)  And every time I get dental insurance I look to see what orthodontic coverage it has, and dream of getting braces.  Well, this insurance has the necessary coverage WITHOUT requiring me to wait 12 or 24 months, so I thinking that this is my time.  Scott is fine with me getting braces.  And these days it seems like most kids have them on for significantly shorter periods of time than they did back when I was jealously watching all of my friends endure the agonies of tightenings and rubberbands.

But soon I will get to join them.

Happiness!

2 comments:

  1. What???? Ok, I know we all have hang-ups about our body parts, but What???? Your smile is beautiful! I don't see any crooked teeth. And after carefully looking at a bunch of photos of you, your canines might be slightly longer than your other teeth, but SO not worth the hassle of braces. In my opinion at least! You are gorgeous, Kate! And your sisters are NOT prettier than you. Frankly, I think you all look exactly alike.

    So, ok, if you want braces, fine. Go get them. But you you do NOT need them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. braces. Lissy got them. did not use her retainer regularly and then her wisdom came in.
    I just spent 180 dollars for a new retainer. The orthodontist wants to put braces on her tops again. NO! he is charging me just for materials. 480 dollars and 6-8 months on her. teeth. She will not agree to do it/
    I should have paid for your braces. You would have appreciated them.
    Good luck.
    Oh, and moral to the story. wear your retainer afterwards!!!!

    ReplyDelete