14 December 2010

Mindfulness

Becoming mindful is on my list of things to do.  And while it sounds silly and New-Agey even to me, I think it is important.

I will have to get some books on the subject to make sure that we are talking about the same thing, but what I am striving for is the ability to actually experience my life.  It seems that I rush around checking things off my list simply because they are on my list:  get up, read my emails, make breakfast, hit the gym, shower, dress for work, pack my lunch, go to work, sit in class and try to behave, come home, unpack the lunchbox, sit and watch tv until I fall asleep.  Rinse and repeat.

Now I'm not complaining about my life mind you.  It's more a complaint about how I live it and how I seem to be trying to survive it.

So I am hoping that some guidance in slowing down or turning on my brain to think about what I am doing, or something like that will help.

And if you have any book or article suggestions to make I will gladly take them!

1 comment:

  1. I had a book - Zen Housework or something like that. I wouldn't recommend you buy it - it wasn't really worth the money, but it was worth reading, although it was basically the same info on each area of housework. The jist of it was before you start a task, say a little prayer about it - in what ever way you "pray". Thank who/what ever you pray to for your ability to do the task. While you do the task, appreciate what ever brought about the task. If you are doing laundry, instead of whining because the dirty socks are all balled up & stinky, think about how much you enjoyed watching the sock owner play their sport, or how cute they look when they wear the dirty shirt..... When you are doing the dishes, enjoy the feel of the warm water on your hands while you "appreciate" the people that created the dirty dishes. While cooking, enjoy the scents of each ingredient, the textures, the motion of stirring.... You get the idea. While I still have moments where I'm too irritated with my family to appreciate them, for the most part, I try to "appreciate" them and it has made housework a lot more pleasant. I'm sure you could apply the same theory to all aspects of your life. Enjoy the warmth while you dry your hair, enjoy the "interesting" sights on the train, "enjoy" the rain that will bring you those beautiful spring flowers - eventually. :) .... Sort of like Spark tells you to slow down and pay attention to each bite you take when you eat. Slow down and notice & enjoy your life.

    ReplyDelete